- BA, Eastern Mennonite University (English Literature & Composition with Minor in Business Administration & Journalism)
- MS, George Mason University (Conflict Analysis & Resolution)
- PHD, George Mason University (Conflict Analysis & Resolution)
This information has been pulled from J1.
If any of the above information is incorrect please see the instructions for directory updates.
Gloria Rhodes is associate professor of peacebuilding and conflict studies at EMU. As a faculty member at the Center for Justice and Peacebuilding, she teaches conflict and peacebuilding theory, personal formation for peacebuilding practice, and conflict analysis. She also teaches courses in conflict transformation and peacebuilding for the undergraduate program and the Masters of Nursing program. She has led semester and summer cross cultural programs in Northern Ireland, the Republic of Ireland, Russia, South Korea and the Navajo Nation. She has served as Department Chair of EMU's Applied Social Science Department, Administrative Director of the Summer Peacebuilding Institute at EMU and as a program assistant for the National Conference on Peacemaking and Conflict Resolution. Her areas of expertise include peacebuilding curriculum development and pedagogy, conflict assessment and situation analysis, practice-related research, group facilitation and mediation, enneagram training, and cross cultural education. She holds a PhD in conflict analysis and resolution from George Mason University.
As a Mennonite and educator, my mission is to help us all better understand conflict, violence, and harm and to learn to be self-aware and pro-active in our responses. As part of a learning community, I aspire to listen and to respond to violence and injustice in increasingly compassionate and sensitive ways. I realize that I will not always get this right, but by the grace of God, I pray that together we will do our best to honestly address harms, help needs be satisfied, and ensure that obligations are met.
After the results were posted of the 2016 Presidential election in the U.S., I posted this to my Facebook page, and I continue to assert this as my primary mission:
“Today I will continue to work to reduce harm, to listen to pain, and help people communicate with one another. Tomorrow I will get up and do that again and the next day, as long as I am able.” Submitted, 5-3-17
Scholarly Presentations and Abstracts
- Transforming Conflict Into Healing in Times Like These with Dr. Don Tyson. 2021 Virtual Mennonite Health Assembly, March 9-11, 2021.
- Learning from Practice: What Practitioners from Around the World Say about Healing Social Divides. Association for Conflict Resolution Annual Conference, Tucson, AZ. September 18-21, 2019.
- Practicing what we preach: Educating for personal formation. Peace, Conflict and Pedagogy Conference. The Archbishop Desmond Tutu Centre for War and Peace Studies and
Centre for Education and Policy Analysis, Liverpool Hope University, Liverpool, England. July 2, 2019.
- Personal Formation for Peace Practice. Global Anabaptistist Peacebuilding Conference and Festival. Mennorode Hotel and Congress Centre, Elspeet, The Netherlands. June 27-30, 2019
- Measuring Up: Professional Development and Self-Awareness with Dr. Mara Schoeny. Association for Conflict Resolution Annual Conference. Dallas, TX. October, 2017.
- Learning from Each Other: Undergraduate Programs in Peace and Conflict Studies Roundtable. Peace and Justice Studies Association Conference. James Madison University, et al, Harrisonburg, VA. October 2015.
- Bridging Cultures and Conflict: Constructive approaches in the intercultural workplace. Administrative Professionals Day Keynote Address. Blue Ridge Community College, April 25, 2015.
- Bridging Cultures: Culture and Conflict. Staff In-service Address. Blue Ridge Community College, October 7, 2014.
- Bridging Professional Worlds; Interdisciplinary Conflict Resolution Education with Dr. Rachel Monaco-Wilcox, Mount Mary University. Association for Conflict Resolution Annual Conference, Minneapolis, MN, October 9-12, 2013.
- Peace Work: How do colleges and university conflict resolution and peace studies programs contribute? with Dr. Mara Schoeny, George Mason University, et al. Association for Conflict Resolution Annual Conference, Minneapolis, MN, October 9-12, 2013.
- Are They Getting It? Creating an Assessment Plan for Skills Learning in Conflict Resolution Training and Education, with Dr. Mara Schoeny, George Mason University. Association for Conflict Resolution Annual Conference, New Orleans, LA, September 13-15, 2012.
- Reaching Across the Fence: Creating Opportunities to Learn with and From Others, with Dr. Mara Schoeny and Dr. Alma Jadallah, George Mason University, and Dr. Frank Dukes, University of Virginia. Association for Conflict Resolution Annual Conference, New Orleans, LA, September 13-15, 2012.
- Comparing Conflict Resolution and Conflict Transformation Practice: Competing professional identities or complementary practices? International Studies Association Annual Conference, San Diego, CA, March 30-April 3, 2012.
- Did they get it? Assessing practice-based learning in conflict resolution training and education with Dr. Mara Schoeny, George Mason University. Association for Conflict Resolution Annual Conference, San Diego, CA, October 13-15, 2011.
- Consultant, Facilitator and Lead Trainer, Guidespring Mentoring College, Understanding Conflict and Engaging in Peace. Mentoring College Cohort 1, Milton, PA. Presentations via Zoom and in person. August 2020 – present.
- Facilitator, Partners Excavating Company, The Enneagram for Workplace Relationships. August and October, 2019.
- Plenary Speaker, and workshop facilitator. The Enneagram for Personal and Relational Growth. Called Together: A Retreat for Married Couples in Professional Ministry. Massanetta Springs Camp and Conference Center. August 2017.
- Presenter/Facilitator, Guest speaker, Personal Formation class, and Foundations class, Eastern Mennonite Seminary, The Enneagram for Personal and Relational Growth, Spring 2017.
- Presenter/Facilitator, Guest speaker, Personal Formation class, and Foundations class, Eastern Mennonite Seminary, The Enneagram for Personal and Relational Growth, February and March, 2017.
- Presenter/Facilitator, January 2017, Guatemala/Colombia Cross Cultural Semester Orientation, Eastern Mennonite University, The Enneagram, Conflict and Group Dynamics.
- Presenter/Facilitator, Orientation for Community Assistants, Eastern Mennonite University, The Enneagram, Conflict and Leadership, October 31, 2016.
- Presenter/Facilitator, LEAD lunch presenter, Eastern Mennonite University, The Enneagram, Conflict and Leadership, October, 2016.
- Facilitator/Presenter, Day-long workshop, Sanctuary Mennonite Church, The Enneagram for Personal Growth, August 20, 2016.
- Presenter/Facilitator, Guest speaker, Personal Formation class, and Foundations class, Eastern Mennonite Seminary, The Enneagram for Personal Growth, January 21, 2016, and March 30, 2016.
- Co-Trainer, with Kathy Evans, Strategies for Trauma Awareness and Resilience 2-day Pre-conference training. International Conflict Resolution in Education Summit. Human Rights and Conflict Resolution: Tensions and Opportunities. June 17 – 22, 2015.
- Lead Trainer, with Kathy Evans, Strategies for Trauma Awareness and Resilience 2-day Pre-conference training. International Conflict Resolution in Education Summit. Developing & Implementing Culturally Inclusive Conflict Resolution Education Policies & Practices in K-12 & H.E. Fairfax, Virginia. June 11 – 16, 2014.
- Trainer, Practice: Skills for Peacebuilding, Summer Peacebuilding Institute 7-day intensive training, Women’s Peacebuilding Leadership Program, Eastern Mennonite University, June 6-14, 2013.
- Trainer, Practice: Skills for Peacebuilding, Summer Peacebuilding Institute 7-day intensive training, Eastern Mennonite University, May 10-18 2012.
- Co-Trainer, Conflict Transformation for civil society, with Fadi el Hajjar, Transformative & Empowering Solutions, Beirut Lebanon, September 23-29, 2011.
Exhibits, Performances and Productions
- Author. Oh God, for too long we have mourned. Hymn text, with music by Dr Bradley Lehman. Commissioned for Lenten series, Community Mennonite Church, Harrisonburg, Virginia, 2018.
- Instructor, for students featured in Peace-ing It Together: Women From South Pacific, East Africa ‘Reflect And Share’ At EMU, article in the _Daily News Record_by Emily Sharrer.
- Interviewee. Featured in St. Patrick’s Day article, Daily News Record Harrisonburg, VA March 17, 2012.
- Author. Where is that other what? Poem. Phoenix Literary Journal. Eastern Mennonite University, 2012.
- Author. We gather here to honor a people and a place. Hymn text, with music by Dr. Bradley Lehman. Commissioned for the 50th anniversary celebration of Waterford Mennonite Church, Goshen, Indiana, 2009.
Church, Community and Professional Service
- Executive Board Member, Faith in Action, Harrisonburg, VA, September 2017-present.
- Board Member and Vice Chair, Patchwork Pantry, food distribution center, 2016-2020.
- Adult Sunday School Co-Teacher, Women Who Made (Biblical) History with Jennifer Davis Sensenig. Spring 2017.
- Consultant, Textbook Writing Project with EMU Alumna Summer and Fall. 2016.
- Participant/Presenter, Peace Professor Delegation, Mennonite Central Committee, Bogota and Cali, Colombia, August 8-15, 2016.
- Peer Reviewer, Journal of Peacebuilding & Development, March 2016.
- Volunteer (summer), Patchwork Pantry, food distribution center, Community Mennonite Church, 1999-present.
- Member, Community Mennonite Church, 1989-present.
Honors, Awards and Grants
- Sabbatical, Eastern Mennonite University, Spring 2021.
- Sabbatical, Eastern Mennonite University, Spring 2014.
- Association for Conflict Resolution
- Peace and Justice Studies Association
- American Association of University Women
Professional Conferences Attended
- Adjunct Visiting Professor, George Mason University, CONF 310 – 002 Trauma Awareness and Resilience, 2018
- Member, Center for Justice and Peacebuilding MA in Conflict Transformation, Academic Committee 2010-present
- Member, Undergraduate Council, representing Department of Applied Social Sciences 2009-May 2017.
- Department Chair and Convener, Applied Social Sciences Bi-weekly Department Meeting 2009-May 2018
- Member, C. Henry Smith Oratorical Contest Planning Committee 2004-present