- BS, Eastern Mennonite University
- MED, Millersville University
- PHD, George Mason University (Education)
This information has been pulled from J1.
If any of the above information is incorrect please see the instructions for directory updates.
Ron Shultz is an assistant professor in Teacher Education and the coordinator for the PK-6 program. He also serves as the Field Placement Coordinator for the department. He earned a B.S. degree in Liberal Arts studies from Eastern Mennonite University with a PK-8 teaching certification, an M.A. in Education from Millersville University, and recently completed his doctoral studies in 2018 at George Mason University with a focus on teacher education and multicultural/multilingual education. His previous teaching experiences include one year as a middle school teacher and five years as a fourth grade classroom teacher in Pennsylvania. Ron also taught fourth grade for two years in Virginia. He has served for six years as a teacher and administrator while helping to begin a Christian school in Cusco, Peru, working with students from preschool through sixth grade. Ron has been teaching in the Education Department at EMU since the fall of 2011.
Scholarly Presentations and Abstracts
- Hall, D. M., Shultz, R., Wall, L., & Conners, A. (2020). Framework for developing culturally competent clinical faculty at the Spring 2020 ATE Annual Meeting: Advocating for Teacher Education: Impacting Research, Policy, and Practice, Atlantic City, NJ.
- Hall, D. M., Wall, L., Shultz, R. & Conners, A. (2019). Guidelines and Framework for Developing Diverse, Culturally and Linguistically Competent Clinical Faculty. Developed for Virginia Clinical Faculty/New Teacher Mentor Best Practices Network (VBPN) grant funded by Virginia Department of Education.
Shultz, R. (2019, March). The Value of Varied Field Experiences for Enhancing the Preparation of Pre-Service Teachers to Work Effectively with English Learners in the Regular Classroom at the Spring 2019 VACTE/ATE-VA Conference: One Voice for Teacher Education in Richmond, VA.
- Shultz, R. (2019, February). The (Trans)Formation of Teacher Candidates' Dispositions Toward English Language Learners in the Mainstream Classroom. Presentation at VANAME, Harrisonburg, VA.
- Shultz, R. (2014, August). Preparing pre-service teachers for effectiveness in a in a diverse classroom: The significant impact of a cross-cultural experience. Presentation at the Summer Conference of the Association of Teacher Educators (ATE), Niagara Falls, NY.
Church, Community and Professional Service
* Consultant and faculty resourcing for PROMESA Christian School, Cusco, Peru, June 28 – July 16, 2019; June 1-20, 2017; July 11-24, 2014; June 11-20, 2012; June 25-July 7, 2011.
* Facilitator for the Clinical Faculty and Mentor trainings, MidValley Consortium for Teacher Education, biannually 2016 to present.
* Discipleship Community team leader at Harrisonburg Mennonite Church, September, 2014 – August, 2016.
* Worship Team member at Harrisonburg Mennonite Church, September, 2011 – 2014.
* Presented Education in a Cross-Cultural Setting for pre-service missions training, VA Mennonite Missions, July 25, 2011.
* Missionary with Eastern Mennonite Missions in Cusco, Peru, as educator and support to the local church leadership, 2004-2010.
* Youth Pastor at Powhatan Mennonite Church, Powhatan, VA, 1999-2003.**
- The Virginia Chapter of the National Association for Multicultural Education (VANAME)
- American Association of Colleges of Teacher Education (AACTE)
- Association of Independent Liberal Arts Colleges for Teacher Education (AILACTE)
- Virginia Association of Colleges for Teacher Education (VACTE)
Professional Conferences Attended
VACTE/ATE-VA Spring Conference, University of Richmond, March 5-6, 2020.
Association of Teacher Educators Spring Conference, Atlantic City, NJ, February 16-17, 2020.
Symposium on Anti-Bias Teaching and Leadership, hosted by James Madison University, organized by VANAME and Kappa Delta Pi, October 18, 2019.
- VACTE/ATE-VA Spring Conference, University of Richmond, VA, March, 2019.
- CAEP Conference, Washington D.C., September 12-14, 2018.
- Symposium for Educators: Understanding and Responding to Poverty, hosted by James Madison University, organized by VANAME, October 28, 2016.
- Association of Teacher Educators Summer Conference, Niagara Falls, NY, August 3-4, 2014.
- ATE-VA Spring Conference, Sweet Briar College, March 27, 2014
- Response to Intervention Symposium, hosted by James Madison University, sponsored by the Virginia Dept. of Education, October 28, 2011.
- Symposium on Immigration and Education, hosted by James Madison University, organized by VANAME, October 14, 2011.
- VATESOL Annual Conference, Fredericksburg, VA, October 2, 2010.
New Courses Taught
- ED 235 Curriculum and Organization in Early Education (Fall, 2019)
- EDUC 551 Creating Cultures of Change (Fall, 2016)
- ED 411 Reflective Teaching Seminar (Fall, 2014)
- ED 331 Math in the Elementary Classroom (Spring, 2012)
- ED 332 Science in the Elementary Classroom (Spring, 2012)
- ED 321 Management and Organization in Early Education (Spring, 2012)
- ED 301 Needs of Diverse Learners (Spring, 2012)
- ED 231 Organizing for Learning (Fall, 2011)
- ED 232 Learning, Motivation and Assessment (Fall, 2011)
- ED 341 Language Arts (Fall, 2011)
- Faculty Representative for the EMU chapter of the SEA (2019-present)
- QEP Task Force: First-Year Advising (2020)
- Teacher Education Department Field Placement Coordinator (2015 to present)
- Committee on Teacher Education (2011 to present)
- Teacher Education Admissions Committee (2011 to present)
- Instructor for the EMU Intensive English Program, teaching English as a second language to adult students, May-June, 2011.